Strengthening partnership: UNAIDS and the International HIV/AIDS Alliance
11 January 2008
UNAIDS Director of Partnerships and
External Relations, Elhadj As Sy (L) and
Alvaro Bermejo, Executive Director of the
International HIV/AIDS Alliance (R) during
the signing of the collaboration
agreement. Geneva, 11 January 2008.
Working towards the global efforts to reach universal access to HIV prevention, treatment, care and support services for all those in need, UNAIDS has renewed its collaboration with the International HIV/AIDS Alliance.
The first agreement, which ran from 2004 to 2007, enabled strong civil society mobilisation for HIV prevention intensification, focusing particularly on empowering women to lead the AIDS response and underlining the key role of civil society in national AIDS responses.
“This is a strategic collaboration which is critical to securing greater impact, paving the way towards universal access,” said UNAIDS Director of Partnerships and External Relations, Elhadj As Sy at the signing of the renewed agreement.
The renewed partnership will focus on strengthening civil society responses to AIDS and aims to achieve the following objectives:
- Promoting direct involvement and leadership of civil society responses to HIV.– including people living with HIV and key populations.
- Promoting human rights-based responses to HIV
- Mobilising country-level public, private and civil society partnerships.
- Promoting evidence informed policy and good practice and the use of strategic information.
- Building capacity to track, monitor and evaluate country responses within a single, agreed national framework.
- Facilitating increased access to HIV prevention, treatment, care and support services.
- Facilitating access to technical and financial resources at country level.
- Facilitating and supporting the involvement of civil society and people living with HIV in planning, implementation and evaluation of national HIV strategies.
The renewed partnership will focus on
strengthening civil society responses to
The Alliance is a global partnership of nationally-based organisations working to support community action on HIV. These national partners help local community groups and other NGOs to take action on AIDS, and are supported by technical expertise, policy work and fundraising facilitated by the UK-based international secretariat and across the Alliance, in regional programmes and representative offices in the USA and Brussels. The Alliance also works on a range of international activities such as support for South–South cooperation, operations research, knowledge sharing, training and good practice development, as well policy analysis and advocacy.
“We are delighted with this renewed partnership that will scale up our community empowerment objectives and our joint impact on the HIV epidemic. The Alliance is committed to bring all its leverage in this partnership as part of its contribution towards universal access” said Alvaro Bermejo, the Executive Director of the Alliance.